Low Carbon Neighbourhood Planning – Alston
This FREE event is hosted by Alston Parish Council and is open to all parish/town councils, neighbourhood planning groups and interested individuals. Neighbourhood planning is an opportunity to identify local climate change and sustainability problems and develop locally-appropriate strategies to tackle them. The Centre for Sustainable Energy has produced a Low Carbon Neighbourhood Planning Guidebook exploring what communities can do, through neighbourhood planning, to mitigate and adapt to climate change and tackle fuel poverty.
The session will cover themes from the guide including:
- Renewable energy: different types, options for policy wording
- Reducing energy consumption and fuel poverty through energy efficiency improvements – existing housing and new developments
- Sustainable transport, minimising the need to travel, protecting local facilities
- Flooding and extreme weather
- Green infrastructure & biodiversity
We will explore what neighbourhood plans in other areas have done to tackle these issues, and whether these approaches could be adapted for your community and its issues.